James M. Richardson
Telephone: (512) 482-8808
Direct Line: (512) 499-8879
Facsimile: (512) 499-8886
Download a vCard to Microsoft Outlook®
One of Texas’ leading trial lawyers in complex commercial litigation, Jim Richardson handles significant lawsuits in numerous practice areas.
In 2017, Jim was elected President-Elect of the National Board of Trial Advocacy – the largest organization for attorney board certification in the United States. He holds multiple Board Certifications – one by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial law – and two by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Trial Advocacy and Civil Pretrial Practice.
With an exceptional track record of successes, Jim has been recognized as a top lawyer by Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation every year since 2012. In numerous years, he has been named a Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyer® (covering the region of Austin, San Antonio and El Paso), as researched by Thomson Reuters. He is recognized as a Texas Best Lawyer® by Woodward/White and a Texas Top Rated Lawyer® by ALM. In 2012, Jim was inducted to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation-only national organization of renowned trial lawyers and judges dedicated to preserving the right to a civil jury trial.
His experience includes successful trials and settlements in significant cases, including contract and fraud suits, partnership disputes, shareholder derivative cases, claims for unfair competition and employment, professional liability, and real estate, environmental, construction, probate, and trust litigation.
Jim began his trial practice with Fulbright & Jaworski in Houston, Texas, later serving as managing partner in charge of complex litigation for two renowned litigation boutiques in Austin, Texas.
U.S. News and World Report and Best Law Firms® ranks Jim’s firm nationally as Tier 1 in Commercial Litigation.
Honors and Distinctions:
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy, national organization (elected 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2018, Commercial Litigation (Woodward/White)
- Best Law Firms®, Tier 1 national ranking, Commercial Litigation, 2018 (U.S. News and World Report)
- Top 50 Super Lawyers®, Central/West Texas Region, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Thomson Reuters)
- Super Lawyers, 2006-2008, 2011-2017 (Thomson Reuters)
- Texas Best Lawyers®, 2012-2018 (Woodward/White)
- Top Rated Lawyers®, 2012-2018 (ALM/LexisNexis) AV®Preeminent™5.0-5
- Editor-in-Chief, Tulsa Law Review
- Outstanding Law Graduate, Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Master, Robert W. Calvert Chapter, 2005-present
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 1999-present
- Founding Life Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation, 2005-present
- Board Certified – Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified – Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified – Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2012-present
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2018-20, elected 2017); Founding President, National Board of Trial Advocacy, Austin Area Chapter (2015-present); National Board of Directors (2015-present); Civil Trial Advocate (2002-present); State Coordinator–Texas (2013-present); Executive Committee (2016-present); Advisory Committee (2009-present); Long Range Planning Committee (2015-present)
- State Bar of Texas, Rules of Evidence Committee (1996-98); Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee (2000-04); Panel Chair, District 9A Grievance Committee (2002-03) (Member from 1997)
- Past-Chair, Civil Litigation Section, Austin Bar Association (Immediate Past-Chair, 2016-17; Chair, 2015-16; Vice-Chair, 2013-14; Treasurer, 2012-13; Secretary 2011-12); Austin Bar Association, Board of Directors (1997-99)
- Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys (2015-present)
- Special Counsel to the Attorney General of Texas, Texas Civil Rights Prison Reform Litigation (1982-83)
- Master of the Bench, American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter (2005-present);
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (1999-present)
- Founding Life Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation (2005-present)
- Presenter, 13th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®, Trial Advocacy Skills, Presented by the Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (Nov. 2017)
- Co-Chair/Presenter, Essential Trial Advocacy Workshop®, A Practical Demonstration:Winning Motions, Presented by National Board of Trial Advocacy, Hosted by Jackson Walker LLP (Oct. 2017)
- Co-Chair/Moderator, 12th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook® 2016 (additionally co-chaired 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th Annual conferences)
- Presenter, Fifty Ways to Lose Your Law License, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (2016)
- Presenter, Texas Lawyers and the Disciplinary Process, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (2014)
- Presenter, Lawyers and Social Network Media Websites: Litigation and Advertising Issues, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Nov. 2009)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2009)
- Ask a Super Lawyer,” Automated Camera Defenses, Texas Monthly (Oct. 2006)
- Presenter, Litigating Disaster Recovery Issues, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Oct. 2006)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2006)
- Co-Chair and Presenter, National Business Institute, How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Texas, Austin, Texas (2002)
- Panelist, Review of Litigation/Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Conflicts of Interest Symposium: Cutting Edge Conflicts of Interest Hypotheticals, Austin, Texas (1997)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Austin Bar Association, Offering and Excluding Evidence in Commercial Trials, Austin, Texas (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Sanctions and Alternatives to Sanctions, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Texas Rules of Evidence: Predicates and Exclusions for Selected Rules, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Fort Worth, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, San Antonio, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Panelist, Houston Board of Realtors, Dual Agency and Broker Liability, Houston, Texas (1986)
- Nova Health Systems, Preparing for the Jury Trial, San Antonio, Texas (1986)
- Author, Whom Do You Represent? Knowing Your Principals – Accidental Agency (co-author), 39 Texas Realtor 6 (Feb. 1986)
- Panelist, Texas Association of Realtors, Litigation Tips for the Unwary, Austin, Texas (1985)
- Author, Helicopteros Nacionales v. Hall: Clarifying the Limits of Personal Jurisdiction, 48 Texas Bar J. 651 (1985)
Representative Verdicts and Settlements:
- Prosecuted significant invasion of privacy claims stemming from secret videotape recordings, pretrial settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a trial of a probate action alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, judgment for the executor.
- Represented the executor of a multi-million dollar estate from claim of constructive fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, case dismissed.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in suit for alleged theft of trade secrets, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a probate action related to alleged breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, case against executor dismissed.
- Prosecuted invasion of privacy claims related to fraudulent installation of computer spyware, confidential settlement reached.
- Prosecuted significant claim for conversion of fiber optic capacity in a suit for alleged pricing overcharges in the United States, confidential settlement reached.
- Lead counsel in an action involving construction defects, breach of contract, and alleged real estate fraud regarding sale of 350,000 square foot building, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the plaintiffs on alleged claims for real estate fraud and breach of contract, confidential settlement reached following a five-day jury trial
- Represented the plaintiff group in breach of contract action and condemnation of real estate for use by a private Texas toll road project, confidential settlement reached.
- Prevailed against a national bank for breach of contract and breach of lease, confidential settlement reached after a five-day jury trial.
- Prosecuted a civil RICO action for fraud and breach of contract against corporate insiders and lawyers of a financial institution.
- Prosecuted wrongful termination claims against a Fortune 500 petroleum refinery, confidential settlement reached after a ten-day jury trial.
- Prevailed in defeating a $250 million alleged fraud and legal malpractice claim for alleged lost sales to Intel of an application specific integrated circuit, case dismissed.
- Prosecuted suit for breach of contract while defeating a $100 million legal malpractice claim, take nothing judgment entered.
- Represented tile manufacturer in a suit for alleged breach of contract and breach of warranty related to one of Austin’s largest condominium projects, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in a products liability jury trial involving allegedly contaminated soft drinks, judgment entered dismissing all claims.
- Represented developer in defending against an alleged multi-million dollar claim for architectural services, confidential settlement reached after a ten-jury day trial.
- Represented real estate brokerage group in a federal Superfund action, confidential settlement reached on first day of trial.
- Represented an international fuel service supplier in an action for breach of contract relating to a jet fuel contract, confidential settlement reached on the first day of trial.
- Prosecuted lender liability claims under the Uniform Commercial Code against a U.S. bank holding company, confidential settlement reached.
- University of California at Los Angeles (1977) – B.A. Magna Cum Laude in Political Science
- University of Tulsa College of Law (1981) – Juris Doctor, Highest Honors
Print This Page